Bridgemont Community and Technical College wishes to thank you for your service to our country, and we are committed to repaying our veterans for all their sacrifices by ensuring all veterans receive every possible opportunity to obtain an education.  We offer a wide range of majors and programs that can help lead to your success.

To start the process to apply for benefits, complete the application for VA Education Benefits at: Once you are approved, the Veterans Administration will send you a “Certificate of Eligibility”. You will need to bring a copy of your “Certificate of Eligibility" to Jeanne Smith, Dean of Student Services or Joyce Surbaugh, Enrollment Manager.

Benefits Available
Post 9/11 GI Bill: The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. Apply at
Yellow Ribbon Program Participant: Those receiving the maximum benefit from the Post 9/11 GI Bill can receive additional funding to cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition and fees. Bridgemont Community and Technical College has agreed to waive 50% of this difference, and the Veterans Administration will pay the remaining balance. This means that those students eligible for the maximum Post 9/11 GI Bill should not have to pay any tuition and fees out-of-pocket.
Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 30: (active duty or non active duty) must have served in the United States Armed Forces for period of two to four years and have been HONORABLY discharged prior to returning to school.
Montgomery GI Bill/Chapter 1606: (selected reserve) must have you completed Basic Training and AIT and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or West Virginia National Guard Unit. Please submit copy of DD214 and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility). The NOBE is available from your assigned unit.
Montgomery GI Bill Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) called or ordered to active duty in response to war or national emergency (Contingency Operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists, who are activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation/Chapter 31: (disabled Veterans) must make application with case worker and have disability rated. Veterans Certifying Official will receive Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-Entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program/Chapter 35: (for dependents and spouses of 100 % disabled or deceased Veterans) must complete Form 22-5490 and submit to Department of Veterans Affairs. Once a claim is established a Certificate of Eligibility will be issued to the dependent/spouse. The student should then make an appointment to see the Veterans Certifying Official.

Work-Study Program:
All students eligible for Chapter 30, 31, 35 and 1606 benefits are eligible to apply for VA Work Study.
Required forms can be found at:

Reserve or National Guard Tuition Assistance:

Apply for the WV National Guard assistance at

Apply for the Army Reserves at

VA Certifying Officials
Jeanne Smith, Dean of Student Services
Room 216 Davis Hall
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Joyce Surbaugh, Enrollment Manager
Room 103 Davis Hall

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.